The Liberty Resources Help Restore Hope Center provides free and confidential services to those affected by sexual assault, domestic violence or other violent crimes in Madison County and surrounding communities. Services are available to all victims and their family, regardless of when the abuse or crime occurred or whether they choose to report it to the police. In addition to services provided to victims, the program takes a leadership role in the community by providing education and prevention services on issues related to sexual assault, child abuse, domestic violence and date violence.
In 1978, a concerned group of women from the local Oneida community formed the Madison County Rape Crisis Program. In 1980, the Task Force Against Domestic Violence began as a grass roots movement and met at a local Community Center.
In 1986, the NYS Crime Victims Board awarded the programs a combined grant. Unable to administer these funds, the program’s Board of Directors approached Liberty Resources to assume overall program operation.
Today services include a 24-hour hotline staffed by trained volunteers. A six bed safe dwelling provides confidential housing in addition to advocacy and support from a team of trained staff professionals. Short-term counseling and assistance with legal Orders of Protection are also provided.
Opportunities for bachelor’s level internships are available.
- Safe dwelling for victims of domestic violence and their children. This is provided in a confidential location.
- Short-term and crisis counseling for victims of domestic violence, sexual assault, or other violent crimes.
- Legal advocacy through Project STOP, located at the District Attorney’s Office, including assistance with family court orders of protection, information and referrals, and assistance in navigating the criminal justice system.
- Medical accompaniment to local hospitals and health care providers for treatment of injuries.
- Therapeutic counseling for adult and child victims of sexual abuse and other violent crimes.
- Support groups for victims of domestic violence.
- Information and referral services.
- Assistance filing NYS Crime Victim Compensation Applications.
- Community education and prevention presentations to professionals, students, and community groups on issues related to sexual assault, child abuse, domestic violence and dating violence.
All services to victims are offered at no cost.